Tuesday, February 24, 2009


This is me during a technological frustration.

If asked whether I love or hate technology, I'd have to answer: "It depends on the day and the project I'm trying to accomplish."

I use the computer on a fairly regular basis, both for work and personal endeavors. I can set up most basic hardware and software, although when it comes to glitches, I have very little patience. I am far from a techie, although I could be coached through fixing most problems when they spring up.

When I first started my home office job in November, I was given a laptop & printer. It was the start of over two months of struggles getting it to cooperate. I could get the internet, but not get on the company network. I spent many hours with tech assistance on the phone, trying this and trying that. Finally, after many attempts, I was able to access the network, but not synchronize files, etc. I was happy to be able to get into the network, only to find I now couldn't access the internet and my email. While I could get at email through my personal computer, I didn't really want to be saving all my work to my personal laptop. I spent a fair amount of time transferring work from one computer to another - UGHH! About then, I'd say I couldn't stand technology. It took 2 1/2 months before all the problems were finally solved (it would have been sooner if a few people would have listened to me). Now that the computer is mostly cooperating, I'll have to try to get all the features of my printer/fax/scanner working. I'm still trying to save up my patience.;-)

Our newest feature for work is participating in conference calls with Skype, a service which allows us to talk/conference for free. Downloading Skype was piece of cake. The plan was to have a webcam, even though it can be done with just voice. I picked up the webcam, which should have also been a piece of cake, but for some reason, it just won't work with my work laptop. I keep getting a USB error message claiming no driver was installed. I tried it on my own laptop, and got the same message. I let it sit a couple days, and was going to return it today, but thought I'd give it another try. Well today, it works on my personal computer, but still not my work computer. UGGHHH! Again, not good scores for technology.

In the midst of all of this, however, I looked down at the front of my computer and noticed my wireless light was blue, meaning it was on & working. I'll be darned! I have been without that function for a couple months--it just quit working one day, along with my speakers. I downloaded new drivers for both functions but was only able to get my speakers back. Several times I tried to reload the driver over the months, to no avail. The error message was always the same: no driver installed. Today, after several months of getting internet via the ethernet cable, with no rhyme or reason, it just began to work again. I have no idea how or why! HMMM...I wonder how long it will last?

On the bright side of technology, we have access to so much more information and more ways to stay connected to others than we did even a few years ago. For instance, now that I'll be Skyping for work, I plan to expand that practice and send my daughter in Texas a webcam so we can keep in touch a little easier and cheaper. I will also probably start suggesting the practice to other family members. Another way to stay in contact is with Facebook, although sometimes I am a little shocked at what I read...so maybe there is some drawback to that. Instant Messaging also is popular, though I rarely partake. I have so many family members, that it would be hard to keep up with them all by old fashioned means, but through computer contact, I can keep in touch at any hour of the day.

Another great technological advancement has been the wide array of public information available online. As a family historian, it is amazing how much can be tracked online, without having to make dozens of trips to the history museums. It still requires a lot of sleuthing, but that's the fun of it. I have saved thousands of miles on my car, plus, I can search the web at any hour, not just museum hours. Of course, technology can't replace the feel of the ancestral stomping grounds beneath ones feet. That requires a hands on visit. :-) I have crossed paths with numerous relatives online over the years, as I piece together the patchwork quilt that is my family. In fact, a few years back, I was able to contact numerous relatives I'd never met and plan a sesquicentennial of one of my ancestral family's arrival, mostly by tracking via the internet. It was so cool!

Google, or any search engine, for that matter, are lifesavers. The other day, I needed a Hawaiian themed dish for a going away party at work. I typed in a couple words, and I immediately had a recipe for Aloha bread. (It was delicious!) I could have spent an entire afternoon trying to find a suitable recipe in my cookbook collection. On another day, I might want to know an author or a songwriter, so I type in a phrase, and just about everything I ever needed to know is at my fingertips. I may be researching for work or I may want to read about news in locations around the country, or around the world, and its all at my fingertips. Perhaps I have a home improvement question or need to buy a certain item. A quick search, and an answer is at hand. I love the internet.

The availability of classes online are also a technological plus. Whether just for fun, or for academic credit, participating in online classes, webinars, and conferences can save lots of time and money over attendance at brick and mortar institutions. I especially like the abiility to participate on my timeline. It may not be for everyone, but it is nice for some learning.

Finally, the ability to pay bills, complete banking, look for a job, order library books, or complete virtual shopping expeditions, are all technological conveniences I've become accustomed to and those activities raise my love for technology.

So, for most of my activities, I love technology. When it's not working, I have a hard time being patient while trying to find a solution. On a scale of 1-10, I give technology an 8.

No comments: