Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Gremlins

...so, the Christmas Gremlins came my way...must have wanted a reprieve from picking on Farside, for awhile. I sent my husband back to retrieve my mom's anniversary photo album, then on to St. Cloud yesterday to get the last picture scanned that was missed in my Mom's /sibling's project...see previous blog. He brought it home, I popped it in, the drive started to run and run and run...but nothing. Popped it in my work laptop, still nothing. Spent several hours on that last night, still nothing. This morning, my CD/DVD drive wasn't working; luckily a reboot took care of that. Tried to run the CD again, to no avail. I think it should have been burned to a DVD, not CD, as the original scans were. I knew this was going to need another trip...or hang it up all together.


Early this morning, we headed off to drop my daughter's car off for new tires and get some last minute grocery shopping done. Swiped my debit card in the reader--it wouldn't authorize. My husband swiped his--again, it wouldn't authorize. The lady on the next aisle...same thing. Unfortunately, neither my husband or I had our checkbooks along. I ended up getting cash out of the ATM, which cost two dollars for that bank, and probably another charge at mine. It was a system problem at Walmart (I think it was overloaded), but I feel sorry for the cashiers & customer service people that have to deal with irritated customers. I am not one of those...I go with the flow; heck, they're just the little people...they can't help the glitches. My daughter was a CSM for several years, and she had to deal with that flack alot. I bet she isn't missing that on her first Christmas season not working there!


After getting home, we determined we will try the scanning project one more time. My hubby wanted to stop at McCann's Brew Pub & refill growlers for Christmas gifts, anyway, so he has been assigned the duty. This will be our fourth trip to get this done right. Again, it is just one of those computer glitches...I am guessing Office Max will not want to take that kind of project on again! I definitely have my fingers crossed this time.


I get to bake today, finally. Friendship bread, fruitcake, beer bread & some fudge. I am tempted to whip up a batch of divinity, as well, after Buffalo Gal blogged on it. I haven't made it in forever. The food prep for tomorrow (our celebration day), is to cut up bread cubes (I think I'll toast some of those), as well as grapes, apples, cauliflower, and broccoli. We also have ham cubes, pretzel braids, and tortilla chips. We are going to do a cheese fountain, which I've not tried, but I thought chocolate (which I haven't tried yet, either, despite having this fountain for a year) was too sweet with everything else we'll have at the buffet spread. Christmas is an enormous spread at my mom's, with so many siblings, and every body bringing one or two dishes, not including the cookie candy trays. I will also make my pina colada punch, which is simply a bottle of pina colada mix and a 64 oz bottle of cran-raspberry juice frozen overnight in an ice cream bucket. It is thawed slightly, then placed in a punch bowl. I pour in a bottle of raspberry ginger ale & it is gone in no time. The kids love it! I prefer the hot drinks: Tom & Jerrys--usually sans the alcohol, Chai Tea , or raspberry tea with a little hot chocolate mixed in! Yum!


I am also on a mission today to clip the dogs nails-or rather-sand them. I bought a new little grinder, called a "pedi-paws." We'll see how that goes...they hate nail grooming, so I picked up a muzzle, as well.


Well, time to don the apron & chef's hat & flour up the kitchen! Here's a little walk down memory lane...my first Christmas; I was not quite six months! My oldest sister was eight, the middle brothers were five & six; the twins had just turned two. Seven more children followed over the next sixteen years. Always a house of merriment!

Ann(8) holding Susie (5 1/2 mos.), Steve (5) holding Jim (2), Danny (6) holding Janet(2)

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!
(Originally published at Area Voices)

No comments: