Sunday, January 4, 2009

THE BOX

As so often times happens here on these blogs, mine and others, nostalgia arises. Perhaps, it is just the need in our hectic lives to return to a time more simple, when everything seemed perfect. Was it? Heck, NO! Somehow, our memories seem to polish away the imperfections. There are gems to be had in looking back, however.


Today, inspired by Country Woman, City Woman, I journey back to my childhood once again, to retrieve the box. My childhood wasn't filled with expensive toys or nice clothes. It wasn't free from pain. It certainly wasn't always happy. I didn't come away from childhood severely scarred, though I would say I didn't come away unmarked, either. However, in the journeys back, nothing seems as painful or insurmountable as it did as a child. Back then, however, I had the box to help me through.


In her blog, entitled Visiting the Magic of Youth, Prairie Woman details the many imaginative games and activities that filled her days growing up in smalltown North Dakota. I could relate to so many of those activities (growing up in small town Minnesota). As adults, we often forget what it was like to be a child, and leaving those childlike qualities behind, can sour us. Returning to those days of simplicity can teach us a thing or two about how to get through the tough moments and can be a sweetener for a bitter day. When things were tough as a child, we journeyed to a land of make believe. Here, no one could hurt you, because you held all the power and magic that kept evil away. You could imagine yourself to be anyone and do anything, because even if the reality was that you were poor and hungry, you could imagine it to be something different. If you were lucky like me, you may have also had a box.


What is this box of which I speak? It was my refuge. My get away from it all abode. In my case, it was an old appliance box...(refrigerator). The box had been hauled up to the bedroom I shared with four other sisters. It was placed on its side under the clothes in the makeshift closet (a closet pole suspended from the ceiling). Pillows and blankets were piled inside for comfort. It was a place to hide out, nap in the middle of the day, or just simply get away. It could be my own little cabin, my castle, my cave, my library, or my art nook. It was a place of serenity when I was mad, angry, fearful, or tired. As a child, as much as today, I recharged best when I was alone. I need reflection time and peace and quiet. I need a space to call my own. The box fit the bill nicely back then.


One day, I caused my family much concern. They hadn't heard from me in hours. Supper came and went without me. We were quite free to roam the town, but we usually didn't miss supper. My siblings were sent to scour the neighborhood. No signs of me. My friends' families were called. Not there. My dad got in his van and drove about town. No luck. The local police officer was called when all the other search efforts failed. Around 10 PM, I awoke and went down stairs, to a surprised but relieved family. They had failed to check the box, which was partially hidden behind the racks of clothes. I had nestled up and fallen asleep. One feeling that was not lost on me that night, even at a tender young age, was that my family really cared, even though there were moments I was sure they didn't (it took a few more later lessons to reinforce that, though).


As a parent, my children had a box. As a daycare provider, my charges had a box. As a teacher, my preschoolers had a box. If the box got torn, we replaced it. If there were none available for awhile, we covered a card table with a large sheet or blanket. At times, we used a small pup tent. It worked the same. It was a place where a child could get away from it all...envelope themselves in down time. Recharge with no interference from the outside world.


Well, we can't imagine our bills away, nor loss of jobs, medical problems, or betrayal of false friends. Through the eyes of a child, however, we can learn to find joy in the simplest of life's treasures. Each day brings new light. Everyday is filled with possibilities if we imagine them. Sometimes, we need to reflect on just what it is that is important. A few minutes or hours away fom the hub-bub of the seemingly insurmountable is sometimes all that is needed to recharge and put things into perspective.


And if you're really lucky, you have known one of the simplest of life's treasures: the refrigerator box.

No comments: