Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Peacemaker



I have always been one that wants to keep the peace. As a young child, all the way through adulthood, I have strived to not step on toes. Although I have become more assertive over the years, I try to deal with public and private matters in a peaceful manner. I was reflecting today on some wrongs I have been dealt recently, and whether I should stand up and fight, as so many around me have suggested. Though I might fight for the injustices toward others, I may or may not follow the same path for myself. I will continue to mull over the issues a while longer, I suppose, but I have decided not to fight. Why? Because my energy will be better spent elsewhere. The injustices have helped me reflect on where my priorities have been and where they should be. I have never worn bitterness well. Has anyone? During all the ups and downs of the last couple months, I have looked for peaceful resolutions. Sometimes when you turn the other cheek, you get a view from another perspective. I saw something new on the horizon and have set on a journey to grasp it.


My favorite hymn while attending Catholic school as a child was the Peace Prayer of St. Francis. (My second favorite was Whatsoever You Do). Thinking back on these hymns, and the messages they conveyed, I must have taken them quite seriously, as I have spent my life working on the messages contained within. The Peace Prayer popped into my head this evening and brought many of my recent struggles into perspective. This prayer will definitely continue to guide me in my newest adventures.





No comments: